Views From Kennewick

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Quiet Days and Chinese Food

Some days it just doesn't pay to be a nurse. Literally. Other days it pays handsomely, if not in dollars, in gratification.


I'm not sure what kind of day it was today. There were no calls from the answering service till a few minutes ago, and then it was just my boss requesting information. Since yesterday was call after call after call, it was a welcome relief.


I'm not, never have been, don't wanna be...a pediatric nurse. So what's with all these little kids coming on service lately? No idea, stuff happens, and in Home Health, you just have to play the cards you're dealt.


When in nursing school, I knew I didn't want to be a pediatric nurse, or an OB nurse. Giving meds or performing procedures on kids isn't my idea of a good time, nor is it theirs. Don't get me wrong, pediatric nurses are a special breed of angels. Uh, I'm not one of those angels.


Give me a geriatric patient any day. At one time I'd have thought "Geri's" were not a particularly fun group to work with, but I was wrong. There's so much strength, and humor, and fun working with elderly people, I can't imagine enjoying this job as much as I do, with any other age group.


Today, I had a 3 year old and a 73 year old. Guess which was more enjoyable. Overall, the weekend went well, and I'm glad it's almost over. With any good luck at all, the answering service will be quiet tonight.

There's a Chinese Buffet right across from the office, their parking lot is always full. I'm not overly fond of buffet anything, since I'm a light eater. But Chinese food sounded excellent, and I didn't resist.

The food was quite good, but in all honesty, the ambiance in the place is...non-existent. I managed to stuff myself, and of course, hit the dessert bar. They do make some mighty good cream puffs the size of a miniature muffin.

Which reminds me of a time long ago. I must have been 5 years old. My sister, RuthAnn eleven years my senior, was still living at home. It was the 1950's and as I recall, she had her auburn hair up in her signature French twist, a dress with a full skirt, and she decided to make cream puffs.

That woman can yell when she's mad! "I TOLD YOU NOT TO SLAM THE DOOR! The cream puffs will fall."

Um, ok. Sorry about that door, Sis. I remember this event, RuthAnn does not. I wonder why?
I do remember those cream puffs were luscious though. Light as a feather and made with real butter.

I can't tell you if they fell or not, they seemed just fine to me.














0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home