Views From Kennewick

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Prodigal Son

The prodigal son returns tomorrow. He’s been away for two years, but is in transit and will be here tomorrow afternoon.

It’s difficult to imagine how my life is about to change...again. Empty nesters get comfortable with that empty nest mighty fast. There’s freedom, a little less work, a little less worry, a little less to do.

I like empty nests; it means you’ve done your job as a parent. But, things change, and sometimes the fledgling returns with a flurry of activity, and endless chatter.

I know about the endless chatter. This young man was talking non-stop pre-birth.

And he hasn’t stopped since.

Since moving to Kennewick a little over a year ago, I’ve had the luxury of peace and quiet, probably for the first time in my life. Coffee on the deck, watching wildlife, listening to the sounds of the river, contemplating color and painting, letting my imagination run wild...it’s been wonderful.

That’s about to change, at 2 p.m. tomorrow, my oldest son returns. He’s moving here and will be living at home for a while. Mind you, I love the young man, he’s a great soul. I just hope I have the energy and the patience to keep up with him.

We’re joining a gym...

I can feel the burn as I type. Please ignore the groans.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home